Review of the Heavy Vehicle National Law
Thursday, 11 July 2019 — Newsletter #8
Release of the vehicle standards and safety paper
We have released our final paper in the first group of papers for ‘what is regulated’ under the HVNL.
The purpose of this paper is to:
- summarise the current vehicle standards and safety provisions in the HVNL
- identify the problems in the current law and how it is applied
- identify options for vehicle standards and safety regulation using a risk-based approach
- identify the safe and productive vehicle issues that a revised law should cover
- seek feedback on whether this paper has captured all the relevant issues.
Reminder: Have your say on other papers open for comment
We have now released five of eight papers exploring issues on effective fatigue management, access to suitable routes, safe people and practices, and vehicle standards and safety.
We want to give everyone affected by the HVNL an opportunity to have a say on what is working, what is not working and how to improve the law.
- Effective fatigue management – consultation open until 16 August 2019
- Access to suitable routes – consultation open until 16 August 2019
- Safe people and practices – consultation open until 30 August 2019
- Vehicle standards and safety – consultation open until 30 August 2019
You can upload a written submission or submit your ideas through our dedicated HVNL Review site.
The next group of issues paper will cover ‘how to regulate’ the HVNL, including assurance and managing compliance.
For more information on the review timeline, upcoming key dates and further project updates, see the HVNL Review site.